Welcome to Kelly Martin's Blog! Here I share my stories from my blessed life as a wife to a super-talented man, Jason, mom to my precious kids, Lucy, Jack, and Connor, and friend to my amazing girlfriends who inspire me every day!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

The bombings yesterday:  abhorrent, disheartening, shocking, pure evil.  It's been encouraging to see the selfless, brave acts of so many surrounding the events yesterday.  And of course, Facebook has been abuzz with posts of encouragement, hope, and patriotism.  I, myself, even shared a sweet quote from Mr. Rogers:  "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers; you will always find people who are helping.'"


But what's even more comforting to me personally, comes from the pages of the Bible.  Reminding me that despite the evil and terror we find ourselves witness to, our Lord and Savior is always there, wanting to comfort and provide peace.  I'll share some of my favorite versus in a second. 

See, I know it's easy to point a finger and say God allows evil to happen.  But I believe God created us with a little something called free will.  He was not a god that wanted to demand obedience, force us to follow him, and thus be able to create a world where there was no evil.  He could have been, but the very existence of Jesus and the way He lived his life on earth proves to me that we have a loving God, who yes, made people in His own image, but also gave them freedom to live freely and make their own choices.  The person responsible for the bombings yesterday acted with evil and malice, two adjectives that couldn't be further from the way Jesus lived his life.  To me, it's clear that in this world, we have both Good and Evil, spiritual warfare if you will.  I bear witness to this battle every single day, in my own life in small and big ways, and definitely when I see what happened in Boston yesterday.

Some encouragement:

So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord.  Psalm 31:24

I am leaving with you a gift - peace of mind and heart.  And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.  So don't be troubled or afraid.  -John 14:27

Also from John, v. 33:  I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world.  

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.  -2 Timothy 1:7

Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you.  He will be with you; he will neither fail nor abandon you.  -Deuteronomy 31:8

So we do not lose heart.  Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.  For this light momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen.  For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.  - 2 Corinthians 4:  16-18




1 comment:

  1. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
    Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read even more things about it!

    Here is my weblog ... bmi calculator for men

    ReplyDelete