Welcome to Kelly Martin's Blog! Here I share my stories from my blessed life as a wife to a super-talented man, Jason, mom to my precious kids, Lucy, Jack, and Connor, and friend to my amazing girlfriends who inspire me every day!

Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Happy Place

I have the best husband in the world, really.  He made my craft room vision become a reality :)

Now that Connor is in his big boy bed, I got to start on making Connor's old room a new craft room for me.  At first, I got busy pinning things and looking on blogs of women that had created their dream craft room.  Of course I fell in love with lots of ideas, but THIS furniture at $1,500 - while A-FREAKING-MAZING - is just more than I'd ever spend.  Plus, I have the handiest husband around; he can build anything!

Plus, I had lots of specific things I wanted in my new craft room.  (Shocker, I know :)  For instance, I wanted a sewing table that was tall, and very deep.  Cutting fabric on the floor sucks.  But, I wanted a separate desk for doing crafts and making cards.  Also, I wanted the sewing part to lift up so I could store things inside.  (Away from little hands.)  Oh, yeah, and, just one more thing, could you do it, like yesterday?  :) 

Armed with a new project - and excited about our mutual understanding that this falls in the category of "I-get-to-buy-a-new-tool-project" (an air compressor for painting the large desks evenly and quickly), Jason got right on it.  He drew up his own building plans and spent an entire weekend building me some awesome, awesome tables!  He even painted it bubble gum pink for me!  :) 

Take a look:


So, the yellow cubbies on the wall were on the facebook yard sale sight I love to peruse.  They needed SEVERAL coats of paint, but since I was painting them bright yellow, I didn't mind :)


And speaking of color, this was my palette.  I had made these pillow covers back when we lived in the house before this one.  While it would have been fun to scrap everything, and start with a new color scheme (I LOVE black, white, grey, and yellow), I do like this fabric and all its bright colors.  No need to be wasteful...


Lighting is an issue in this room because there's only one window, and although the fan/light fixture is nice looking, it provides terrible light.  Well, not terrible, it's lovely ambiance light, but not craft-room light.  So, Jason installed three wall lights from Ikea.  (Thanks so much Mom for picking up my Ikea items!)


Most of this room, I already had. Like with the pillows I had made, the curtains, sofa sleeper, cork board, and pillows were in there when it was Connor's nursery.  All the storage organizers, baskets, and accessories, too, so it was easy to put it all together.  And super fun to find new homes for things that were being stored in my scrapbook suitcase.  In theory, I would have loved to paint the walls turquoise or something, but I was way too impatient to wait for that :)  And the neutral wall was fine to work with.  From Ikea - in addition to the wall lights - I did buy the Bygel rail and colored cups you see in the bottom right-hand corner.  Love these!



Ribbon, fabric, and glitters = one happy me!


  The striped box (and the set of five of them I have in here) were formerly used in Lucy's nursery to hold baby booties and socks :)


Love the storage underneath.  My huge cutting mat even fits in there!


Special artwork:  left to right:  Lucy's ladybug she made in Girl Scouts, Jack's 2's class artwork, and the owl is a little painting I made with my friend Tiffany when I was pregnant with Connor.



My friend Connie came over the other day.  She saw the craft room and asked me, "I mean, do you just come in her, shut the door, and say to yourself, 'I'm so happy'"?

Yes, that's exactly what I do!  :)  Thank you, Jason!  You definitely deserve to be leader of your "people-who-are-awesome" group :)

3 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! It is so you with all the bright colors. FUN! And good job Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very quickly this site will be famous among all blogging and site-building people,
    due to it's fastidious content
    Also see my web page > online Jobs work from home no fees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.
    I will always bookmark your blog and definitely will come
    back down the road. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your
    great work, have a nice evening!
    My blog post ... freebie trading scam

    ReplyDelete