Welcome to Kelly Martin's Blog! Here I share my stories from my blessed life as a wife to a super-talented man, Jason, mom to my precious kids, Lucy, Jack, and Connor, and friend to my amazing girlfriends who inspire me every day!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spongebob dresses

Jack has been enjoying some one-on-one time with my parents in Atlanta this week, and with things a little less hectic around here, I had some time this afternoon to complete a little project I've had in mind- sew pillowcase dresses from this Spongebob fabric.

Lucy's like me in that she loves to watch tv, and one of her current favs is Spongebob Squarepants.  (One show I actually don't mind watching with her sometimes; that and Good Luck Charlie - I kind of like that show :)  Anyhow, neat story behind the Spongebob fabric I had stacked among all my fabric remnants:  my first year teaching, way back in 2004, Spongebob was a new tv show and was all the rave with kids.  So, I set up my first classroom with a spongebob theme.  I had this fabric covering several bulletin boards as well as no fewer than two dozen stuffed animal sponge bobs :).  I  think I used this fabric in the classroom for about three years before I retired it.  So, it's likely been in the storage bin since 2007.  But, now it's being put to very good use!  




"Audrey, this is how you pose...Pose!"  :)




Cutest dialogue to date between these two while they were watching me as I began to sew their dresses:

Audrey:  "Ms. Kelly, where did you learn to do that?!"

Me:  "I took a sewing class and learned how."

Audrey:  "Oh...Well I want to take a sewing class."

Me:  "You should absolutely do that Audrey.  And you too Lucy, you guys would have so much fun doing that together."

Lucy:  "Yes!  And since we're both five, we'd be in the same class."  (You can tell we've been chatting a lot about starting Kindergarten and who might be in their classes...)

Audrey:  "Yeah, we'd be in the same class.  (Big grin)  Long pause, then, "We're going to be together all our life."

I mean, seriously!?  Tears pricked my eyes a little when A said that :)






Connor was hanging around too :)



Wish you could have heard the giggles happening during this one :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my word. Please tell Lucy thanks for trying, LOL! I showed these to Audrey to show her how much prettier she is when she smiles! Thanks for the dress, Audrey loves it. :)

    ReplyDelete